As promised, here are the sauce recipes from Tuesday night’s dinner. I recommend making them, detox or not! I really didn’t think the kale pesto was going to be that great, especially with the substitutions I made. The red sauce was made in case the pesto didn’t work out. Having 2 successful sauces in 1 night, was definitely exciting. You can never have too many sauce recipes!
Kale Pesto – vegan/gf/soy free – yields ~1c [adapted from Jan/Feb Vegetarian Times Kale Pecan Pesto]
- 1, 12oz bunch kale [any type], washed + de-stemmed
- 2T walnuts
- 3T almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5T nutritional yeast
- 3T olive oil
- black pepper
- pinch of salt [I used less than 1/8t total, but you may want more]
- ~2-3T cooking water [from kale]
- In a large pot, bring 1.5c water to a boil.
- Add in torn, de-stemmed kale and cover for about 4-5min. Kale should be wilted but still bright green.
- Drain liquid into a bowl and reserve.
- In a food processor, process nuts + garlic until fine.
- Add in kale and process, until combined. Scrape the bowl as necessary.
- Add in the olive oil, salt + pepper. Process again.
- Add in nutritional yeast + 2T cooking water.
- Process again, scraping when necessary, until desired consistency is reached. Add in more cooking water, a little at a time, if desired.
*You can toast your nuts if you choose or add other spices, if you like.
The red sauce came from my go-to recipe. I left out salt + sugar in this version and added apple cider vinegar on a whim. It totally worked! I think I’ll be sticking to this version from here on out!
Red Sauce – vegan/gf/sugar free/soy free
- 28oz can diced tomatoes, drain 1/2c liquid from can
- 2T tomato paste
- 2T olive oil
- 1/2t onion powder
- 1.5T oregano
- 2t thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2t basil
- pinch red pepper flakes [optional]
- 3T apple cider vinegar [unfiltered]
- black pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium with about 2T olive oil.
- Add tomatoes + juice [minus 1/2c of liquid] to the pot. Careful, it will spatter!
- Let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add all seasonings, apple cider vinegar + tomato paste.
- Stir + reduce heat to med/low bringing to a strong simmer.
- Let cook for about 10-15min, stirring once in awhile.
- Turn the heat down to a light simmer and cook until desired thickness is reached.
*You can definitely process or blend the sauce after it’s done cooking, if you like a smooth sauce.
*You could also use whole peeled tomatoes and just chop/mash them up a bit when you add them to the pot.
I reserved a little bit of the raw kale to the side, before making the pesto, because the bunch was huge. I chopped it and added to the hot, brown rice pasta, which slightly wilted it.
Happy clean eating!