Since I’m not eating wheat, that means no Ezekiel English muffins. Sad! However, that does mean I can make 2 banana scrambles instead of 1. Score!
One mixed with bananas and one with applesauce. They work either way!
Topped with coconut butter and unsweetened/unsalted, but still drippy + delicious, peanut butter! This breakfast hit the spot and was a nice change from a bowl of oats.
I couldn’t wait for lunch, because it involved leftovers. This salad had all my favorite things…packed with protein, healthy fats, crunch, cream, chew, delicious!
- a lot of spinach
- 1/4 avocado
- scoop of Quick Cashew Nacho Cheeze sauce [so good!]
- salsa [very low sodium content]
- leftover black beans + Mexican spiced wild rice
- organic corn tortilla, crisped in a pan for crunch
I love eating salads because it takes SO long to eat them!
The friendly staff at Larabar, contacted me to see if I would be interested in sampling their new bar, Blueberry Muffin. Ummm, yes!! They sounded awesome. I couldn’t wait! Since Larabar is a Denver company, they were delivered in literally 1 day and in perfect time. I really wanted something sweet [without added sugar] to have after lunch.
I love the blue wrapper and the cute bag they came in.
I was expecting to be hit with a waft of blueberry as I opened the wrapper. However, this didn’t happen. It barely smelled like blueberries, which had me worried. I’m really hit or miss with Larabars. They tend to sort of all taste the same to me and be pretty bland in flavor or too sweet. My favorites are: lemon, key lime, + gingersnap
The bar was pretty disappointing. :( I really thought it would have a lot more flavor. The dried blueberries also gave it a little grainier/tougher texture than normal. The nuts they used for this bar were cashews, which may have been part of the problem. I think walnuts or pecans would have given the bar more flavor and made it more muffin-like in taste. Chris felt the same. Very bland. I was so hopeful for this one!
Don’t be fooled by the below photo. These are not brownies!! This is my latest socca creation [chickpea bake]. It’s more savory than sweet. Like an unsweetened chocolate bread. Sound weird? Well, it kind of is.
But for some reason I like it!! The texture is awesome. Dense, chewy, moist.
Topped with coconut butter + peanut butter and it makes the perfect detox treat!
- 1 1/4c chickpea flour
- 1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1c almond milk [unsweetened in my case, but any will do]
- 1/2c water
- 1t vanilla
- 2T + 1T unrefined coconut oil [melted peanut butter might work too]
- 1/2t salt
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Melt 1T coconut and spread it around the bottom and sides of an 8-9” round cake pan.
- Mix chickpea flour, milk, vanilla, water + salt in a bowl.
- Melt coconut oil and whisk in. [will be a bit lumpy because the coconut oil will harden]
- Pour into pan and bake about 40min. It should be cracked on the top and pulling away from the edges when done.
- Let cool, then cut.
Yum! But I could still go for a chocolate bar…
I ran a few errands this afternoon and made sure to swing by my favorite coffee shop. However, not for coffee. I’ve been easily passing on the coffee this week. It hasn't’ been an issue at all! I will always be a coffee lover, but at least now I know I don’t need it in the morning. I’m planning to still drink it after the detox, but not everyday.
Instead of coffee, it was time for a fruit + veggie juice! There are a few places in Ft. Collins that have fresh juice and this is one of them. I’ve only had a few veggie juices in the past, and I wasn’t a fan.
This however, was delicious!!
orange + carrot + apple + ginger It was creamy and frothy, with a nice sweetness and spicy kick from the ginger. I’m going to be ordering a compact Breville juicer, and I can’t wait!
I also managed to drink the offensive tasting detox tea, which again made me feel great, but made my taste buds cringe. hehe
Detox Day 5 – overview
- I was really tired today, but am not sure exactly why. Maybe toxins are flushing out and making me feel sluggish, maybe I haven’t slept enough?? Not sure!
- Lemon water was slightly more tolerable. This is something I definitely want to continue!
- Today I managed to swim for 1.25 miles, with some aqua jogging mixed in.
- I’ve been dry brushing for just over 1 full week now and swear my skin feels tighter already.
- Sweets/chocolate cravings were definitely intense again today. I didn’t give in, even with chocolate in the house!!
- Next week I’ll start incorporating small amounts of maple syrup + raw honey back into my diet.
Dinner was another big bowl of leftovers, similar to lunch. Instead of a spinach salad though, I made a huge tasty batch of kale chips with smoked paprika. YUM.
Hopefully I’m feeling more awake in the morning. We have a busy day ahead!