On our list of things to get done within the first month[ish] looks like this:
- hardwoods resurfaced + refinished [not doing ourselves]
- complete kitchen demo [starting saturday!]
- complete kitchen makeover [floors/cabinets/counters/etc]
- appliance installation new fridge/washer/dryer/gas stove/dishwasher [eeek!]
- paint entire interior [wrangling volunteers ;)]
- redesign kitchen wall with punch out window
- install all new windows
Before I start going through everything in my head again, I’m just going to focus on food.
I found organic frozen cherries at Costco yesterday that are delicious! I couldn’t wait to stick them in a buckwheat bake. A cherry almond buckwheat bake to be exact. One of my favorites for sure!
Cherry Almond Vanilla Buckwheat Bake [serves 1]
- 1/4c ground buckwheat groats [raw]
- 1T whole buckwheat groats [raw]
- 1/4t almond extract
- 1/2T vanilla
- 2t maple syrup
- 1/2 large banana
- 1/4t baking powder
- 1 flax egg [1T ground flax meal + 2.5T warm water, whisked]
- 1T chia seeds
- 1/3c chopped frozen cherries, plus a few more on top
- 3T almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Whisk flax egg together and set aside for ~3-5min.
- In a small bowl mash banana until egg-like.
- Mix in almond milk, almond extract + vanilla with a fork.
- Mix in buckwheat, buckwheat groats, baking powder, chia seeds, and walnuts.
- Mix in flax egg.
- Min in cherries.
- Grease a small oven-safe dish, add mixture, smooth, and bake for 35-40 minutes. [Depends on the size of your mini pan. I used a personal size soup crock. You can also use 2-3 muffin tins]
*You can use 1 flax egg or sub 1 egg white or 1 chia egg.
*Use 1/4c applesauce, if you don’t like banana.
*Add 1-2T of other mix-ins like chopped dried fruit, fresh chopped fruit, chocolate chips, or coconut.
I’m totally crushing on almond extract lately. Just be careful. A little goes a long way, unlike vanilla extract!
I really love cherries.
And chocolate chip cookie dough almond butter.
And coconut butter.
The dogs are enjoying the “new” ghetto beds.
Kenna can’t decide which her favorite is.
Dakota is pleased with anything but the slippery hard floor. I haven’t broken the news to her yet, that there is zero carpet in the new house. She’s not going to be happy…
My “get in bed early” last night, did not happen at all. In fact, I went to be LATER than usual. Tonight, I’m determined! Before I go, I wanted to write out my goals for March. They are as follows…
- Finish Eating Animals
- Start + Finish The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick
- Keep up with my workouts, but taking off when needed, due to house-exhaustion :)
- Get 7 hours of sleep every night! [hardest thing on the list]
- Keep trying to figure out what is causing my stomach discomfort.
- Keep track of all the house happenings and stay on top of phone calls and ordering.
I don’t think there will be time for much else!
11:31pm. Not bad. Bed!!