It’s been one of those days.
It started with crazy dreams, then waking up in a sweat. It continued with grumpiness, stuffiness, a partially wasted day and a headache. [Boy, does that all sound super trivial.]
I tried to pull out of it with a sweat-fest at the gym. Thanks to Gina for kicking my butt today! I used a workout she posted recently and it rocked. I was feeling better for awhile after the workout, but something was just off today.
Dinner time rolled around and I started off annoyed that the sun was fading away. I was annoyed that our kitchen table is about 6” lower than countertop height. I was annoyed at how many trips I had to make to the bathroom to wash veggies or clean a knife.
I was annoyed when I had to walk through the maze of cabinets floating around in the kitchen and out the door to the grill. I was annoyed when the tofu stuck to the grill. I was annoyed when the potatoes stuck to the foil.
I’m sure Chris was annoyed that I was huffing + puffing around the house, muttering under my breath. I’m sure Chris was annoyed when I told him this dinner might be a flop.
I was annoyed when I ran out of
counter table space. There was no room for my light box and no more sun.
I plated my food, sat down on the couch-bed, and took a bite, practically holding my breath, annoyed at myself.
Grumpiness still here.
Tomorrow is a new day.
Curry Grilled Tofu [serves 2] adapted from Mango Power Girl
- 1 block, extra firm tofu
- 1T millet flour [ground from whole millet in a blender]
- 1T minced ginger
- 1T lemon juice
- 1T olive oil
- 1t garam masala
- 3/4t cumin
- 1/4t coriander
- 1/2t salt
- 1t chili powder
- 1/8t cayenne pepper
- 1/2t turmeric
- 1.5t paprika
- 1T curry powder
- 1T minced garlic
- 1C plain yogurt
- Drain tofu and slice into 6 even slices.
- Using 2 kitchen towels, double one up and spread slices in 1 layer on the towel. Double up the 2nd towel and place on top. Place a cutting board on top and a few heavy books on top for 10-15min. This helps squeeze the liquid out. You can also use a tofu press.
- In a large plastic container combine all ingredients and whisk with a fork.
- Place tofu in marinade and coat the top. Let sit in the fridge for 1-2 hrs [I only did it for 20min :)] turning once in the middle.
- Heat your grill to 350* or med – med/high.
- Grease the grates very well with oil.
- Place tofu on the greased area and do not move for about 7-10min.
- Carefully flip with a metal spatula. It will stick a bit to the grill but really try to scrape under the tofu to flip and place on a new well greased spot on the grill.
- Cook on the 2nd side for another 7-10min.
I thought I was doomed when I saw how charred it was the first time I flipped. But fear not, it was delicious! Grilling tofu isn’t the easiest and mine definitely stuck a bit. Just try to work the spatula under the tofu the best you can! Or, if you want to use the oven, check out Mama Pea’s tofu cooking method that she just posted. It looks perfect!
Time to sleep away this funk.