The veggies are slowly dwindling from my fridge. If you missed it, I got hit with a mother-load from Door to Door Organics. I went shopping the same day and stocked up, then found the plentiful box of delicious GREEN on my doorstep.
Not a problem in this house, but I can’t let any of it go to waste.
So currently, I am running operation: eat your veggies!!!
If you don’t like veggies, I wouldn’t advise coming for a visit! [Jessica, I am talking to you!!]
Now let’s get started.
Lunch Part I:
- 1/2 head lacinato/dinosaur kale
- 1/2 cucumber
Paired with: Creamy Smoked Salad Dressing [one of my favs!]
Lunch Part II:
- lettuce wrap + tofu leftovers, turned into stir fry [re-heated in a pan, on the stove]
Just as delicious in stir-fry form!
I have a lot of them.
Specifically, pickling cucumbers. You know, for pickling!!
The nice thing about pickling cucumbers is that they last a few weeks longer than if you just eat them from the fridge.
And pickles are freaking delicious.
You can pickle so many other things besides cucumbers. Practically any vegetable. And you don’t have to have pickling cucumbers either. I do prefer them, but use a long English cucumber otherwise.
Here’s what I had on hand to pickle:
- pickles, duh
- banana peppers [amazing on veggie sandwiches, stuffed in a grilled cheese, on salads or pizza!]
- hot pepper
If you want a basic recipe for pickles, check out my Salt + Pepper Garlic Pickles.
And better than links to all my old posts, I have a new recipe for you as well! The kind + generous Kelsey, invited us over for dinner again. Man do I love her. Somehow, she always knows when I’m having an extremely busy day and have no time to cook.
What better way to thank her, than bring her some of my fridge contents!
In pickle form of course.
Kelsey’s Zesty Pickle Mix
- 28-32oz jar + lid
- 1 hot pepper
- 2 large banana peppers
- 2 large pickling cucumbers
- 3/4c distilled white vinegar
- 1T fine grain, kosher sea salt
- 1T peppercorns
- 1/4t red pepper flakes
- 2 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- De-seed peppers + slice into 1/8” rounds.
- Slice cucumbers into 1/8” rounds.
- Add peppers + cucumbers to jar, pour in vinegar and fill to just below the top of the jar with water.
- Add salt, peppercorns, pepper flakes and garlic.
- Screw lid on + gently turn a few times.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 4-6hrs before eating. They will last about 2 weeks in the fridge.
*I used a med-hot pepper for the hot pepper. 1 seeded jalapeno will work, or whatever you like.
Another way to show thanks to Kelsey?
Empty out the fridge a little more, by providing the salad greens!! Goodbye 2 mini green leaf lettuce heads. You were so delicious!
Kelsey spent hours preparing an amazing lasagna feast. She was super kind + used brown rice lasagna noodles for my no-gluten-eating self. They were delicious!! No need to pre-cook. You couldn’t tell a difference between regular lasagna noodles at all.
I brought over my daylight bulbs + light clamps, so Kelsey could get some shots for her blog. She was excited!
And I was excited to dig in to this cheesy deliciousness. I think she’ll have the recipe up sometime soon!??
And that my friends, is how you go through a LOT of veggies in just ONE day.