Welcome to one of the easiest + most refreshing summer salads ever. Sweet, crunchy, and juicy, with a little red onion zip.
I’m all about easy lately. And fresh. And cold. And easy. Did I already say that?
At the same time I hesitate to post such a simple recipe I also think this is probably what you want to see sometimes. A quick lunch to pack for work or to munch on poolside.
Speaking of pool, I need a hookup. Preferably a friend with a pool in their backyard. I promise I won’t use you just for your pool. I’ll bring snacks + salad as a trade. Maybe even dessert and this perfect summer drink. Sound good?
Speaking of friends hooking it up, I’m still happily working my way through this strawberry rhubarb jam from my jam-master friend, Megan.
Curious as to why I’m talking about jam and salad?
It just so happens to be one of three ingredients in the dressing you see below.
JAM dressing!? Indeed.
Fruit + Nut Jam Salad
gluten-free, vegan // yields 2 large side salads
for the salad:
- 3 cups chopped lacinato kale
- 3 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 10 sweet cherries, halved + pitted
- 2 handfuls of blueberries
- shaved red onion
- salt + pepper
for the dressing:
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-fruit jam
- pinch of salt
- Set out the tablespoon of jam first thing to help soften.
- Mix kale + spinach together and portion between 2 bowls.
- Divide fruit + nuts and place on top along with the shaved onion, a pinch of salt, and pepper.
- Place 2T lemon juice, olive oil, jam, and salt in a jar and shake [or whisk in a bowl] until completely combined. There may be some small pieces of fruit/pulp in the dressing that don’t combine. If there are large pieces of fruit in your jam try to leave those out.
- Taste and add more lemon juice if desired. I used 3T.
- Pour the dressing + serve.
notes: Be sure to use jam, not jelly. Goat cheese would be an excellent addition if not vegan.
Now where can I find a pool? I’ll be there at noon, lunch in hand.