I’ve been on the edge of my seat waiting to share this recipe with you all night!
Why this meal hasn’t already happened, is a mystery! How am I just now thinking about making a savory buckwheat bake?
It’s basically the a blank canvas that you can take in either direction.
Savory or sweet.
These are always a breakfast item for me, so I usually go sweet. I’m one of those types that enjoys a good savory breakfast. Eggs + toast + hash browns? I’m there!
But for the savory buckwheat bake, the meal that came to mind was lunch. The same goes for savory oats.
I decided to make 2 versions, with slight variations.
- applesauce + oil combo
- rosemary + thyme
I invited my personal recipe tester over for lunch. Kelsey + I agreed that version 1 came out on top! The chopped mushrooms added great texture! They didn’t become limp + wet. The slivered + chopped kale was a great addition, that also did not add much extra moisture, unlike spinach might. The basil melded with the other flavors more fittingly than the rosemary + thyme.
1 tomato slice on top, gave a nice little juice with every bite. In fear of making the buckwheat bake watery, I didn’t chop and add them to the batter.
The layer of crispy, broiled cheese, was the icing on the
Sold. Even before my first bite.
Moist, but not wet.
Crispy edges, with a soft center.
Like a warm savory bread…
Or if you’re the savory breakfast type, your taste buds will be pleased.
The only question is, what are you going to top it with?
Savory Veggie Buckwheat Bake [serves 1]
- 1/4c buckwheat flour [ground from raw groats]
- 1T raw buckwheat groats
- 1T chia seeds
- 1/4t baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2T almond milk
- 2T unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8t salt
- 1-2T fresh basil, slivered + chopped
- 1t minced garlic
- 2-3T Organic Valley white cheddar, shredded
- 1/4c chopped mushrooms
- 1/4c kale, chopped [I used dino/lacinato kale]
- 1 slice of tomato
- ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350*
- In a bowl, whisk the egg, applesauce + milk together.
- Stir in buckwheat flour, groats, chia seeds, baking powder, salt, garlic + black pepper, until combined.
- Stir in mushrooms, kale + basil.
- Grease all sides of an oven safe baking dish [I use a 4” diameter soup crock].
- Pour batter into the dish, place the tomato slice on top and bake for 32-37min on the center rack of the oven.
- Test with a toothpick. Pull out when slightly moist.
- Set oven to broil.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and place back in the oven on the top rack. Broil for 1-2min, until the cheese is bubbly + browned. Watch closely!
- Loosen edges by running a knife along the edge of the dish. Flip out onto a plate.
*Feta or goat cheese would be an excellent substitute for cheddar
*5,000-7,000’ altitude – oven @ 375*, 1/2T extra milk
*You can use 2-3 muffin tins or ramekin dishes, greased well. The bake time will decrease. I imagine you could also quadruple this recipe and stick it in a 9x9 pan, if you’re making for a group. You can also let these fully cool, wrap well + freeze.
*Can sub 1 flax egg [1T ground flax seeds + 2.5T hot water, whisked + gelled for 5min] to veganize
Now, to answer that question….
- roasted + salted almonds
- cream cheese
- salt + pepper cashew butter
- smoked paprika almond butter
- herbed infused oil
- marinara sauce
The skies the limit, just like with the breakfast versions!
My lunch date was happy.
Food was provided + dogs gave cuddles.
I auctioned off my Peanut Butter Brown Rice Krisp Bars and they pulled in $115!! Pretty amazing, no?
I did make one change to the recipe after a sweet find at the grocery store. Cocoa brown rice cereal by Erewhon! I checked with the winning bidder + she was all for switching out the plain rice cereal for the chocolate.
Good call my friend. :) An extremely easy dessert to make. Kid + adult friendly. Gluten free + vegan.
Peanut buttery, chocolatey, crunchy, deliciousness.
Thursday? Already? Slow down summer!