I know you’re short on time this week. Whether it’s finishing up your shopping, wrapping, or maybe a deadline at work.
Because of that, I have 2 helpful things to share.
1 – This post is short. I’m not going to blab on + on about this recipe or anything else going on with me. Shocking!
2 – Every single ingredient in this recipe, [except the buns!] get thrown into a crock pot. Make this hearty meal for any holiday or non-holiday, for lunches, for a weeknight dinner, or to freeze.
- 2c dried green lentils, picked over for debri + rinsed well
- 3c low/no sodium veggie broth
- 28oz strained tomatoes
- 1/2c + 2T tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped ~1 1/2c
- 1 bell pepper, chopped ~1 1/4c
- 2T apple cider vinegar
- 2T pure cane sugar
- 1T garlic, minced
- 1T oregano
- 1t smoked paprika
- 1T chili powder
- 1/2T parsley
- 1/2-1 1/2t salt*
- black pepper
- 1/4-1/2t cayenne [opt]
- Add all ingredients into your crock pot, stir until well combined and cook on high, covered, for 3.5-4hrs or low for 7-8hrs.
- After that amount of time, test to make sure the lentils are cooked through. They should have a slight al dente bite to them. If they’re not done, recover and cook for 30min increments + keep testing.
- Remove the lid + stir. If it’s not thick enough, place on high for 30min – 1hr with the lid off. Will also thicken as it sits.
- Serve on toasted buns.
*I use a no-sodium veggie bullion cube to make my broth. I ended up using just over 1t of salt total. Use caution when adding salt if your veggie broth already has salt added.
Recommended side dishes:
Also recommend this Marinara Topped Creamy Pasta, for a quick, healthy + festive Christmas dinner.
Can you believe it?? I’m done!
Well, one more thing.
I highly recommend you come back tomorrow, because I have the perfect Christmas breakfast for you + the family.
Whether you want to make a healthy single serving breakfast, or a baked breakfast to feed the family. There will be a vegan option as well, that was possibly better than the original. STAY TUNED! Everything will of course be gluten free, but don’t let that stop you from serving this to the entire family. No one will notice!