I am so very excited about this recipe. It was the best chili I’ve ever made and was inspired by the “chocolate chili” from one of our favorite Ft. Collins restaurants, Tasty Harmony. This chili has a medium spice [easily adjustable], an amazing creamy texture and a nice mellow cocoa flavor. Chili powder + cumin pair extremely well with unsweetened cocoa powder.
If you can believe it, topping this with shredded coconut was delicious. I did this for dinner last night with a dollup of plain Greek yogurt as well. Today I got a little crazy and decided to add my cocoa-nut almond butter to the mix.
I can’t even describe how perfect the flavors + textures were together.
Cocoa Chili [serves 5/6]
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can mild green chilies
- 1-2T chipotle sauce [you can find this in the Mexican aisle in a small can, it might also be labeled adobo sauce..it’s very spicy!]
- 1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2t cinnamon
- 2t cumin
- 1/2 salt [add more if desired]
- cracked pepper
- 3 cans beans of choice, drained + rinsed [I used black beans, cannellini, and kidney]
- 2, 14oz cans, diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1.5-2c low sodium veggie broth
- 2T safflower oil/coconut oil
- 1.5T sucanat [or pure cane sugar]
- 1t oregano
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion + pepper until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and stir again, cooking for about 1min.
- Add cocoa powder, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon, oregano and stir for about 1min, until fragrant.
- Add in tomatoes + liquid, veggie broth, green chilies and chipotle sauce [start with 1T and add more to desired spiciness]. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Add drained + rinsed beans and sucanat [or sugar].
- Simmer over med-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Let cook for about 30-45min, until desired consistency is reached. It will thicken the longer it cooks.
- While cooking, taste + adjust spices accordingly.
Served with tortilla chips + a salad on the side, this is one of the best meals I’ve had in quite some time.
We’re headed to Denver tonight to meet up with one of Chris’s friends that is in town from back home [PA]. Tomorrow we’re headed to Vail + Breckenridge on Saturday. I have some posts scheduled to go up tomorrow + Saturday, but won’t be able to answer comments or email, as I won’t have my computer with me. Just a heads up! I’ll catch up on Sunday with a full recap of the weekend. We’re hoping for a powder day tomorrow at Vail. Right now I have some packing to do and hopefully a sunny + windy walk with the dogs before heading out.
Have a great rest of your week!