I got an idea.
It started with quinoa made Sunday night.
Always make extra quinoa. Only good things can come of it.
Tomatoes are finally in season out here. I’ve only been waiting all year long. Dear summer, please don’t leave me!
Tomatoes, quinoa, kale…
…mushrooms + egg?
Well, it’s neither. It’s something completely new.
And I am pretty excited about it. While I absolutely loved the veggie baked eggs, there was nothing I wanted more than a crusty piece of bread to dip in the drippy goodness. However, that’s sort of not possible because of the whole no-gluten thing.
Then I got to thinking.
…I wonder if mixing eggs + quinoa would hold together + make an egg bake?…
Kind of like a frittata…or a quiche without the crust.
I mixed the quinoa, eggs + veggies…
…baked it in my mini soup crock…
…and pulled it out of the oven in complete anticipation of a disaster.
I thought it would be stuck in the dish.
I didn’t think it would hold together.
I thought the quinoa might dry out.
But guess what?
It broke apart perfectly and tasted exactly as I hoped it would.
Quinoa Egg Veggie Bake [serves 1]
- 1c pre-cooked quinoa [perfectly cooked quinoa]
- 1/8t salt
- black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4c kale, chopped
- 1/4c tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4c mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2-1oz cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 400* and grease an small baking dish. I used a soup crock that is about 4-5” in diameter. You could also use 3 muffin tins or 2 ramekin dishes.
- Grease the baking dish thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, crack + whisk both eggs.
- Mix in quinoa.
- Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms + kale until just combined.
- Pour into baking dish and smooth down with fork/spoon/spatula.
- Bake, uncovered for 22-26min, until lightly golden + set. [test with your finger for being set]
- Remove from oven, turn your broiler on + sprinkle cheese on top.
- Broil 1-3min, watching closely, until the cheese is bubbly.
Eaten with a salad, this makes quite the lunch or dinner. If veggies for breakfast are your thing, you’re going to have a new favorite.
No need for crusty bread. Just a napkin to wipe your face.
And if you feel so inclined, you may want to add some marinara, butter, more s+p, or a savory nut butter perhaps?
nutritional info: includes all ingredients from the recipe
Another savory success!
The only problem now, is that I’m out of eggs.