We hit the road bright and early at 5:30am this morning, headed for Winter Park ski resort. It’s just over a 2 hour drive, but leaving much after 5:30 would have us sitting in traffic for an extra hour.
The conditions today were warm + sunny, with no new snow. We got in a few good runs, but were most excited for the 2nd half of the day. In the parking lot! The perfect conditions for a beach day.
aka: grilling out in the parking lot, slope side
We prepped the food the night before, and wrapped everything up in foil, so it was ready for the grill.
A few of our Denver friends were there as well!
Ali + Hovan [getting hitched this June]
Like a snowy tailgate party.
The husband with Ali + Hovan.
My stuffed mushrooms, pre-grill.
Saturday night, I made an extremely easy + mouth watering filling, for these cute baby bellas.
I know that my recipes can sometimes use weird ingredients, or be a process to make, but not today!
This is a perfect mushroom filling, but could also be used to stuff or top many other things.
- broiled on top of a pasta bake
- warmed on top of roasted or sautéed veggies
- sandwich topping
- pepper stuffing
- salad topping
- veggie spread
Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- ~15 baby portabellas
- 4oz plain goat cheese [or feta]
- 2 whole artichokes, diced
- 1/3 cup red pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven or grill to 375* and lightly grease a pan or grill grates.
- Gently clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel, remove the stem and peel away the fringe around the edge to allow more room for stuffing.
- With a fork, mix together all remaining ingredients. I used an ample amount of black pepper.
- Stuff into about 15 baby mushrooms.
- Grill or bake until hot and mushroom is slightly tender. 5-10min, depending on grill or oven. Avoid overcooking, as the mushroom will become soggy.
These were a hit!
Ann [in the cream hat] + Kurtz next to her, were our other Denver friends that came out to play. Also getting hitched in 2012!
Other grilled foods.
Grill baked potatoes are delicious.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1.5-2 Tablespoons rosemary, finely chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1.5 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- Wash well, slice potatoes in half, and then cut very thin slices.
- Mix with all other ingredients.
- Wrap in foil [for the grill] or place on a baking sheet and cook for 25-35min at 400*, turning a few times if using a pan.
- Done with tender or wait longer to let crisp!
Great day at the “beach!”
All together now.
Switched with Chris!
Got one with everyone!
Off to enjoy the last few minutes of Sunday, until my head hits the pillow. Still battling some sort of week-long cold!