This is the recipe I deleted the photos to last Sunday.
The reshoot may have turned out better. Funny how that works.
This recipe is inspired by the evil truffle walnuts I tasted at Whole Foods. Have you tried them? Maybe you’re more familiar with the organic chocolate truffles they make? They come in a red box and are truffle perfection—in my opinion. However, I am no truffle connoisseur.
Anyway, back to the walnut truffles. They’re basically a whole walnut, dipped in a fudgy + slightly sweet dark chocolate coating, and then dusted with cocoa powder. Not rocket science, but so simply delicious.
Their ingredient list calls for cocoa butter which probably helps with stabilization. I haven’t picked up cocoa butter for cooking yet, so I used coconut oil instead. I also added peanut butter because who doesn't like peanut butter and chocolate? Instead of melting chocolate chips I used unsweetened cocoa powder to keep the ingredient list to a minimum. They are lightly sweetened with honey and then tossed in cocoa powder to finish them off.
Slightly messy, completely addicting.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Walnut Truffles yields 32-40 whole walnuts
- 32-40 whole walnuts
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter [not the oil on top kind]
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2.5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Line a pan parchment paper.
- Melt the coconut oil and peanut butter over med-low heat.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the 2.5 tablespoons cocoa powder, honey, and salt. The mixture should be thick but pourable.
- Coat walnuts one by one completely and place on the parchment lined pan .
- Place in the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Place the cocoa powder in a bowl and coat the walnuts one by one with the help of a fork.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
notes: Pecans would also work well but almonds or peanuts may be a bit more difficult to work with. Add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon if desired. Use maple syrup instead of honey to make vegan.
I swear yesterday was Monday. I blinked and now it’s Friday.