I made this dressing.
Then I made this salad.
Then I poured the dressing on the salad and went to town.
And then I wanted another serving.
And now I can tell you it’s not so wise to eat an entire pound of brussels sprouts in one sitting. Consider yourself warned.
Now here’s the recipe!
Cranberry Honey Basil Vinaigrette + Brussels Sprout Salad [dressing adapted from Angela] yields ~2 servings
For the dressing:
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cranberry juice (no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped basil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt + pepper to taste, about 1/4 teaspoon each
- Heat the cranberries, apple cider vinegar, and honey in a pot over medium and bring to a boil.
- Cook for about 7-10 minutes until the cranberries burst and the mixture starts to thicken. Stir every minute or so.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes and then pour into your blender along with the cranberry juice, basil, oil, zest, mustard, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt + pepper.
- Blend starting on medium and working up to high until fully combined.
- Taste and adjust salt/pepper or sweetness if needed.
- Pour into a jar and cool in the fridge with the lid off.
- Once cooled, secure the lid and store for about 5 days.
For the salad:
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, stemmed + rinsed
- 1 crisp red apple, thinly sliced
- dried figs, stemmed and halved
- grated asiago or parmesan cheese
- pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- black pepper
- Grate, slice, or chop the brussels sprouts. I used a food processor but a mandolin or knife will also do. *edited to add: When using a food processor, pulse about 1/2 pound at a time until shredded. It doesn't take very long at all. Empty into a bowl and pulse the other half.
- Top salad with the ingredients listed above a sprinkle of fresh cracked black pepper.
- Finish with the cranberry honey basil dressing.
note: I do not recommend using 100% pure cranberry juice as it’s extremely tart. Fruit juice sweetened cranberry juice will do the trick. You could even use one of the combination juices like cranberry/blueberry.