It’s Friday. How about we just get right to the point?
The bowl below is filled with a sweet + savory mixture of apple, pecans, shallot, garlic, garam masala, turmeric, cinnamon, and a few other ingredients.
I sampled it at least 25 times.
It’s then mixed with wild rice and stuffed into an acorn squash.
Then topped with more apple slices + pecans.
Spiced Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash (vegan/gf)
- 2 acorn squash, sliced + de-seeded
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice + water for cooking
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin unrefined coconut oil
- 1/4 cup diced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 large crisp apple, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- apple + pecans to top
for the rice:
- Heat a pot over medium with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Once hot, toast the rice for 3-5 minutes stirring frequently, until just starting to brown. Add specified amount of water and cook according to package directions. ~45-55 minutes
for the squash:
- Preheat your oven to 350* and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly coat the inside of the acorn squash with melted coconut oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Place face down on the baking sheet and bake for about 40-45min until the flesh is just tender. Test with a fork.
for the filling:
- While the squash and rice are cooking, heat a large pan over med-low and add 1/2 – 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Once hot, add the shallot and cook for 2-4 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Add in the garlic, garam masala, 1/4 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and turmeric and stir constantly for about 30 seconds – 1 minute until fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium and stir in the apple cider vinegar and maple syrup.
- Add in the apple and pecans and let cook for 3-5 minutes, until the apple starts to slightly soften. Stir frequently.
- Measure 2 1/2 cups of cooked rice and fold it in to the apple shallot mixture.
- Taste and add more salt or garam masala if desired.
- Stuff the acorn squash halves with the mixture and top with a few dots of coconut oil or a light drizzle of melted coconut oil. ~1/2 – 1tsp per half squash
- Bake for 10 minutes uncovered. Remove, top with fresh apples and pecans and serve.
Have a nice weekend!