Ohhh tomato soup.
You have been a staple in my life for as long as I can remember.
With a grilled cheese on the side. Always.
You are like coffee + doughnuts.
Milk + cookies.
Just waiting to be dunked.
This is the first time I’ve made a simple tomato soup.
I won’t even try to question or answer why that is.
I’ve made it now and that’s all that matters.
My fear of homemade soup has been conquered!
Simple Tomato Soup
gluten-free // serves 6-8
- 2, 28oz cans whole peeled tomatoes + juice [1 fire roasted, 1 plain]
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup basil, lightly packed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup half + half cream
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium-low heat and melt the butter.
- Add the chopped onion and 1/2t salt stirring occasionally for 12-15min until translucent and just starting to brown.
- Add the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, their juice, and 3c of veggie stock. Stir.
- Tear the basil and stir it in the pot along with the parsley, oregano, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to simmer for 20min.
- Carefully blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Put back on the heat and continue to simmer for 20min.
- Stir in the half + half.
- Taste, then add more salt and pepper if desired and simmer for 5min.
- Serve or let cool before storing in the fridge.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil and/or half + half.
Notes: You can use 2 cans of the same type of whole tomatoes, or use 1 fire roasted and 1 plain like I did. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use your blender instead. If you use your blender, do so in small batches and use caution.
My mom is heading to Colorado on Sunday for her spring break. It was much easier leaving Ohio knowing she would be here just a few days later. Now only if the whole family could join her.
Have a fabulous weekend!