Hey, guess what?
I bought peppers.
And then I stuffed them.
And then we ate them.
And now you get the recipe.
Smoky Stuffed Peppers
vegan option, gluten-free // fills 4 peppers
- 1/2 cup dry millet
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 bell peppers, halved + de-seeded
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup leek, rinsed well + chopped [or yellow onion]
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated [plus extra to top]
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2.5 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1.5 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 – 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne [opt]
- Place a pot over medium heat with 1/2 Tbsp oil.
- Rinse the millet [with a fine mesh strainer] and then pour into the heated pot and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil over med-high heat, then reduce heat to simmer + cover for 18-20min, until the liquid is absorbed. Do not stir while cooking.
- Take off the heat, still covered, and let sit for 5-10min then fluff with a fork.
- In a large skillet add 1 Tbsp oil and heat over medium/med-low.
- Add the leek [or onion] once hot and cook for about 6-8min until just starting to brown.
- Add in the minced garlic, smoked paprika, oregano, 1/4 tsp salt, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne [add more salt depending on the sodium content of your veggie broth] and stir for 30sec – 1min until fragrant.
- Add in the broccoli + chickpeas, set to medium heat, and cook for about 7-10 minutes. Stir occasionally until the broccoli is just tender.
- Add in the cooked millet [should be 2 cups cooked] with the remaining 1 Tbsp oil, stir to combine, and let cook over medium-low for 5min. Taste and add more salt/pepper if desired.
- Set your oven to broil and very lightly brush the peppers with oil.
- Place face down on a baking sheet and broil on the top rack for about 2-3min on each side, until just starting to soften.
- Stir the 1 cup of cheese into the broccoli mixture, then scoop into each pepper half and top with a sprinkle of cheese on each.
- Broil for 2-3min until bubbly and golden brown on top, remove from the oven, and serve. Top with mashed + salted avocado if desired.
notes: Can easily be made vegan without the cheese. Quinoa can be used instead of millet. Adjust the cooking time to 15-17min. Smoked paprika is much different than plain paprika and is crucial to the flavor in this dish. My veggie broth has no sodium, so I used close to 1 tsp salt in total.
See you tomorrow on east coast time!