Are you sick of avocados yet?
My apologies if you are.
You would think I didn’t know they existed until 6 months ago. Before that we were just acquaintances, now we’re deeply in love. Head over heels.
While I love a good basil pesto I’m not always in the mood for an oily sauce. Sometimes, that oily consistency is just not what I’m after.
Add an avocado and the problem is solved.
If your garden is bursting at the seams with basil this recipe will use a full cup. If your basil looks like death [*cough* mine] then you’ll need to buy a few handfuls.
Just a light rinse, a pat dry, and loosely packing the leaves into a measuring cup.
A few spins in your food processor and this vibrant, creamy sauce is complete.
Creamy Avocado Basil Pesto
vegan, gluten-free // yields just under 1 cup
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup loosely packed basil
- 1.5 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small pan over medium-low heat toast your walnuts, stirring frequently, until golden brown. About 5-8 minutes.
- In your food processor add the garlic + walnuts and pulse until ground.
- Add in the avocado, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, salt + pepper. Start with 1/4 tsp s+p.
- Process until a smooth consistency is reached, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- Taste and add salt + pepper if desired.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container for 2-3 days.
Your options for use are endless. From a sandwich spread with quick GF flat bread, to pasta, to a tomato stack. Whatever your fancy.
Check back Friday for a follow-up recipe featuring this pesto sauce.
And because I know you all love a nice kitchen mess…