This recipe was a total accident.
Kelsey was over for dinner the other week and we both contributed whatever vegetables we had in our fridge. Our plan was to make a big pot of quinoa, grill a boat-load of veggies, top them with goat cheese + avocado, eat from a massive bowl, and feast.
I started the pot of quinoa with a few Italian seasonings thrown in before thinking about how we were going to spice the veggies.
Then I asked Kelsey what flavor she was in the mood for, for the veggies.
Barbeque sauced, herby, smoked, Mexican, curry spiced?
She jumped all over curry spiced idea. Neither of us had ever curry-grilled veggies before, so I was just as excited to try it out. My only regret was that I should have made creamy coconut brown rice to go along with it instead!
And who would have thought goat cheese + curry would pair so well together? We were both surprised by this. After that night I knew I had to create a recipe that showcased this unique + fun pairing.
Why not wrap up curry grilled zucchini with a little goat cheese and roasted red pepper? A delicious bite sized snack, perfect for a get together or for no special occasion at all.
Curry Grilled Zucchini Roll Ups [yields 14-18]
- 2 medium zucchinis, [~9” long + 1 1/2” diameter]
- 1 large red pepper
- ~3oz creamy goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt + pepper
- Preheat your grill to about 350-400 degrees or medium-high.
- Once hot, lightly oil the pepper and place it on the grill on its side. Rotate 4 times for about 5 minutes per side.
- While the pepper is cooking, mix the spices together in a small bowl, omitting the salt + pepper.
- Trim the ends and slice your zucchini lengthwise into about 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices.
- Lightly coat all of the zucchini strips in oil on both sides and then rub the spice mixture onto both sides of the strips.
- Sprinkle one side generously with salt and pepper.
- Place the strips on the grill in a single layer for 5-7 minutes.
- Flip and grill the other side for another 3-5 minutes. You want them golden brown and slightly charred, not crispy.
- Take the zucchini off the grill and let cool on a wire rack.
- Remove the pepper and de-seed, then slice into 1/2” x 1 1/2” slices depending how wide your zucchini strips are. Let cool.
- Once cooled, sprinkle with goat cheese down the length of each strip and place one slice of roasted pepper at the end.
- Wash your hands to avoid goat cheese all over the outside of the rolls, then roll the strips and place seam side down.
- Serve chilled or at room temp. Top with s+p if desired.
Hope your Monday is off to a great start!