I made the most terrible meal ever last week.
Rarely do I have to throw an entire pan of food away but this-was-disgusting. There was no coming back. There was no saving this meal.
I tried to make a coconut milk stir fry with baby bok choy as the star vegetable. Whenever I make sauces I add ingredients very gradually. Things were going okay until the coconut milk was introduced. From that point I just couldn’t get it to taste right. I moved on and thought maybe it would come together as it cooked.
I started stir-frying the veggies and then poured the sauce on.
Terrible. No flavor. I added a few more spices and drizzles of different ingredients to no avail. During the taste testing I also came to the realization that bok choy is not really my thing. I like it o.k. in small doses but realized I’m just not a huge fan. I think it’s the texture.
Or, I may just need a lesson in how to properly prepare bok choy.
After that disaster, I moved on to my bowl of perfectly hard boiled eggs.
The dressing turned out a little tangy, slightly sweet, and creamy. The trick to the creaminess was adding one of the cooked hard boiled egg yolks. The taste profile is similar to mayo but the consistency is quite different. It’s not nearly as thick and doesn’t fully bind the chopped egg together. However, this is exactly what I was going for, as I’ve never been a huge fan of egg salad so thick it maintains its form after being scooped.
A mopey hello from my photography sidekick, Dakota.
Mayo-less Stuffed Egg Salad [yields 2-4 servings]
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 hard boiled egg yolk comes from 1 of the 6 eggs you’ll hard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper
- 1 cup bite-size chopped lacinato/dino kale
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun dried tomatoes blotted of excess oil
- 2 tablespoons diced green onion
- Place eggs in a large pot and cover with cold water by 2-inches.
- Bring to a boil over med-high heat and let boil for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat, cover, and let sit for 13 minutes.
- While cooking, prepare a large bowl filled with ice and water.
- Drain the water from the pot and place the eggs in the ice bath until fully chilled.
- Once chilled, remove the shell from all of the eggs and set aside 1 of the egg yolks.
- Place the oil, vinegar, 1 egg yolk, honey, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salt/pepper if needed.
- Place the kale in a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of dressing, and massage the dressing into the kale with your hands to tenderize.
- Chop or mash the remaining hard boiled eggs and place in a large bowl with the kale, sun-dried tomatoes, and green onions.
- Add desired amount of dressing and gently fold all of the ingredients together. Taste, and add more salt + pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge in a sealed container. Dressing soaks in a bit as it sits.
notes: You can definitely leave out the “stuffing” ingredients of kale, sun-dried tomatoes, and green onion to have a more traditional egg salad.
Enjoy on crunchy toast or lightly dressed kale. Can never get enough eggs, kale, or toast.
Hope you all had a delicious, relaxing, and/or adventurous weekend!