I am out-of-control-hooked on red grapefruit. I will dig at it for an hour making sure every last piece of sweet-juicy goodness is consumed and then proceed to squeeze all the juice out and slurp that down as well.
I haven’t really explored many [or any?] citrus recipes before, so I’m challenging myself to come up with a few this year. I want to keep the recipes simple and focus on highlighting their flavors, colors, and textures.
Today, Chris and I headed out for a brisk winter bike ride. The roads we rode on were [finally!] clear of ice, the sun was out, there was minimal wind, and it was about 35 degrees. With the warm winter sun it actually didn’t feel too cold. So we bundled up and headed out for a 15 mile ride. The views were gorgeous and we stayed perfectly warm once our hearts were pumping.
When we arrived back home I quickly started on this snack that had been brewing in my head during our ride. I knew it was going to be the perfect pick me up. And it was. Citrus fruit is one of my very favorite things to eat after a workout.
The fruit was tossed with honey and lime juice then spooned over creamy Greek yogurt and topped with chopped pistachios. The nutty crunch was a nice contrast to the incredibly juicy fruit and the honey added just the right amount of sweetness.
But the lime is what made this simple snack shine.
You will most likely find me eating this every single day until red grapefruit vanish for another year.
Honey Lime Citrus Parfait with Pistachios [serves 2-3]
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, divided
- 1 orange
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1 1/2 cups plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup roasted/unsalted pistachios, chopped
- Whisk together the honey and lime juice until smooth, then stir in 1/2 teaspoon lime zest. Set aside.
- Peel the orange then pull apart the segments and cut each piece in half.
- Slice a grapefruit around the center [not end to end] then scoop out each segment of grapefruit. It helps if you cut along the pith lines with a sharp knife before scooping. A smaller spoon or grapefruit spoon will also help.
- Place the orange + grapefruit pieces in the honey lime bowl and lightly toss to coat.
- Add about 3/4 cup of yogurt into 2 glasses or bowls then top with half of the fruit mixture in each including some of the juice from the bowl. Use more yogurt if splitting into 3 servings.
- Top with chopped pistachios and a pinch or two of lime zest. Serve immediately.
notes: You can prep the fruit mixture ahead of time and store it in the fridge until ready to top on the yogurt. But I would use it within one day. This would be a great snack to serve at a brunch!
My very favorite Greek yogurt is from Wallaby. I recommend using a 2% Greek yogurt for the best taste and creaminess.
This isn’t the last you’ll be seeing of citrus around here. Hope you can deal.