You’re probably aware.
You’re ready for the weekend.
And this burger is ready for your mouth. So let’s get right down to business.
I wanted to go all out with this burger. Topping GA-lore. You ready?
Crunchy potato topping.
Avocado lime cream.
An everything topped bun.
This recipe was actually inspired by Lindsey’s [from Love & Olive Oil] new book, Breakfast for Dinner. I received a copy of her book a few weeks ago and was blown away. The recipes, the photography, the design + layout. Everything. This book is spectacular, and I just can’t seem to put it down. Many of the recipes are easily adapted to be vegetarian or vegan and gluten-free, too.
For instance, Lindsay’s Sunny-Side-Up Burger, on page 62. Lindsay uses ground sirloin and tops the burger with crispy russet potatoes, a sunny-side-up egg, and cheese. I couldn’t stop gawking at the photo with the drippy egg, and I knew I had to recreate it.
Starting with the bun.
Say goodbye to sad gluten-free buns. I’ve got a 5 minute GF bun facelift you are sure to L-O-V-E! Remember the everything topping on my rosemary quick bread? Oh yes. Just like an everything bagel!
Then, instead of russet potatoes I roasted grated sweet potatoes until they were super crisp. A crispy burger topping is where it’s AT!
The avocado cream sauce is made with avocado, Greek yogurt, lime juice + zest, garlic, and salt, then blended until smooth.
You’ll want to slather it on. Seriously. Don’t be shy.
And then the egg. But you knew that was coming.
Maybe you’re thinking, this is too much.
But I assure you it is not.
It is exactly perfect.
Messy, super messy, and perfect.
The Ultimate Loaded Veggie Burger gluten-free // yields 6 burgers + toppings
inspired by: Sunny-Side-Up Burgers from Breakfast for Dinner, p.62
Simple Black Bean Burgers
- 1 batch simple black bean burgers
Avocado Lime Cream
adapted from: Avocado Cream Sauce from Breakfast for Dinner, p.23
- 1 cup mashed avocado, about 1 1/2 avocados
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until fully smooth.
- Taste. Add more salt and/or lime juice to your preference, but note that flavors develop and come together as the cream chills.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour. Taste and make final adjustments.
notes: This can be made a day ahead as the lime juice will keep it from browning. Note that the tanginess of your Greek yogurt will vary the taste of the recipe. I used Wallaby 2% organic which is very creamy with a mellow tang.
Udi's gluten-free, multi-grain buns are my favorite
- 6 gluten-free buns
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons large flaked sea salt
- Preheat your oven to broil over high.
- Brush the tops of your buns with a light coating of whisked egg.
- Sprinkle the everything topping on each bun.
- Place top up on a baking sheet and place on the center rack in your oven for about 3-5 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and the egg is dry. Watch closely to avoid burning.
- Flip over and toast for another 3-5 minutes if desired. Toast the bottoms if desired as well.
Crispy Grated Sweet Potatoes
- 5 cups grated sweet potatoes, about 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- generous sprinkling of salt + pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350* F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread half of the grated potatoes on each pan and gently squeeze with a towel to soak up some of the moisture.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil over each.
- Sprinkle with salt + pepper and toss until fully coated.
- Spread evenly and bake for 15 minutes.
- Toss, evenly spread out, then bake for another 15-25 minutes. Toss 2-3 times during that time.
- Remove when golden brown and crisp. They will crisp more as they cool.
- 6 large eggs
- coconut oil or ghee
- Heat a small pan [non-stick or well-seasoned cast iron] over medium-low heat and grease with coconut oil, ghee, or another butter/oil.
- While heating, crack 1 egg in a bowl.
- Once the pan is hot pour the egg carefully into the pan, being careful to not break the yolk.
- Place a lid on the pan, slightly cracked, and let cook 2-4 minutes until the white is just fully cooked. Check on the egg frequently, so the yolk does not become too firm.
- Carefully remove from the pan and place on a warmed plate.
- Repeat until all eggs are cooked.
notes: There are many methods for cooking sunny-side-up eggs, but this is the one I like best to make sure the whites fully cook. It may take an egg or two to figure out the exact cook time with your pan + stove. I would start cooking the eggs about 10 minutes before the potatoes are done. Two pans help speed up the process.
bottom bun > lettuce > burger > crispy potatoes > egg > avocado cream > everything bun top
Maybe you don’t make this tonight.
But definitely on Saturday.
And again on Sunday. It’s worth it.