New favorite salad alert!
Good thing for me—and you—because it’s about the simplest salad I’ve ever made while still being able to label it as a “recipe.”
My other new favorite thing is making dressings that you shake in a jar. No blender, whisk, or other electronic appliance, just a jar. Oh, preferably one with a lid.
There are 2 things that make this salad my new best friend.
1. It’s contrast of flavors. This salad has kicks of sweet, savory, and tang that end up creating a palate-pleasing balance with one another.
2. It’s refreshing! Seriously! I believe this is my first time making a lime-based dressing and all I have to say is, move over lemon!
This salad was created as part of my fiesta themed week, which started with homemade corn tortillas + chips! I was looking for something light + refreshing to go along with a flavor-packed fajita feast. With limes being used in other elements of the meal I thought it made sense to create this lime-based dressing to tie everything together. I also thought lime would pair well with avocado and mango and liven up the rather plain tasting jicama. And it did just that!
If you are in a salad rut this is sure to snap you out of it!
Mango, Avocado, + Jicama Salad with Lime Dressing gluten-free, vegan-option // yields ~6 side-dish portions
adapted from: mango avocado salad
for the dressing:
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey, or agave
- scant 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- ~1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper, to taste
- Shake vigorously in a jar until completely combined.
- Taste and adjust if needed.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use and shake before pouring.
for the salad:
- 1/2 head lacinato/dinosaur kale
- 6-8oz baby spinach
- 1 avocado
- ~1/2lb jicama
- 2-3 ataulfo/champagne mangos
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3-4 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- black sesame seeds, optional
- Stem + chop the kale and place in a large bowl.
- Roughly chop the baby spinach and mix with the kale.
- Peel + slice the jicama into matchsticks about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cube or slice the mango, removing the skin. Tutorial here.
- Slice the avocado and toss with a bit of lime juice to prevent browning.
- Right before serving toss the greens with 1/2 – 2/3 of the dressing until well coated.
- Spread the greens over a large serving dish or bowl.
- Top with avocado, jicama, and mango and drizzle more of the dressing overtop.
- Top with green onions + black sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Fajitas are up tomorrow and then something sweet with a Tres Leches theme. What that sweet treat is will be completely up to you! I’m currently polling for the winner—tres leches cake, cupcakes, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, or quick bread—on the EP Facebook page right now through tomorrow morning! Go vote!