Cake on Monday is a necessity.
And this is a cross between cake, pound-cake, and muffins. It's studded with raspberries and vanilla beans, and silky smooth from the ricotta cheese. Why don't I put ricotta in baked goods more often? It not only adds moisture but also helps keep the texture nice + light. Using almond flour instead of almond meal helps to lend a more cake-like texture as well.
If the tiny cartons of fresh raspberries currently cost $6.99 in your area, frozen will totally get the job done. If raspberries aren't your thing try blackberries or blueberries, or a mixture of all three!
The vanilla beans add a light vanilla fragrance and dot the cake with adorable tiny black specks. My absolute favorite baked good flavor. And ice cream flavor. And frosting. Mmmm, vanillaaaa.
Raspberry Ricotta Vanilla Snack Cake
gluten-free // yields 1, 8x8 pan
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sucanat, or pure cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, or 2%
- 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil, melted + slightly cooled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 vanilla bean pod, scraped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 350* F and thoroughly grease an 8x8 pan.
- Mix the oat flour, sweet rice flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt, and sucanat together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, then whisk in the ricotta, milk, oil, vanilla beans, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet into the dry and whisk until just combined [when you no longer see dry flour].
- Gently fold in the raspberries then pour into the 8x8 pan. Dot the top with a few extra raspberries if desired.
- Bake for 32-38 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let fully cool before slicing. Cake firms as it cools.
notes/substitutions: If you are unable to tolerate gluten-free oat flour sub in a GF all-purpose flour at a 1:1 ratio for the oat flour only. There is no sub for sweet rice flour.
The perfect cake to get you through a Monday and every other day this week. You totally deserve it.