Who doesn't love a good PB + J?
I'm kind of a sucker for them.
Easy to make. Perfect for a snack. For a hike. For breakfast. Anytime.
Such simplicity in these ingredients. And I must be honest with you...I prefer grape jelly!
But for today, let's kick it up a notch.
Let's get a little crazy.
Let's grill this bad boy.
But not in a pan or in a panini press.
Let's pile it high with toppings. Healthy, sweet, fruity, savory...let your imagination run wild!
And then let's grill it in you WAFFLE MAKER.
Do not underestimate the power of the waffle maker.
This grilled sandwich is like no other. The waffle maker actually creates nooks + crannies and then makes them CRISPY.
Are you hearing the words I'm saying? Are you looking at the nooks + the golden brown color!? How is it possible that there is any other way to make a sandwich??
This sandwich making method is blowing my mind. I think my waffle maker just earned a permanent position on my counter. That is a big deal!
I don't have an official recipe for you, but I do have a few ideas.
The Ultimate Waffle-Grilled Sandwich gluten-free, vegan
- Preheat + grease your waffle maker around the medium heat setting [adjust as needed].
- If using frozen gluten-free bread be sure the bread is fully thawed before putting in the waffle maker. A quick way to thaw frozen bread is to put in your toaster on a low setting for about 1/2 - 1 cycle. Don't let it actually toast, just thaw.
- Do not use a crusty bread, as it will be very hard to clamp down your waffle maker. Best to use a soft sandwich bread.
- You may not be able to fully close your waffle maker. Don't force it.
- Spread nut butter on both sides of the bread and then other ingredients in the middle.
- Takes about 1 typical waffle cycle to fully grill, but may vary with your waffle maker.
- A round or rectangular waffle make will work.
Classic Peanut Butter + Jelly >> Spread peanut butter on both sides then sandwich together. Grill. Serve with a side of jelly for dipping.
PB, Banana, Strawberry, Walnut, Coconut >> Spread peanut butter on both sides then top one side with banana slices and one with strawberry slices then sprinkle with walnuts + coconut. Grill. Serve with a side of jelly for dipping.
PB, Chocolate, Banana, Coconut >> Spread peanut butter on both sides then top one side with banana, one with dark chocolate chips [vegan if needed], then sprinkle with coconut. Grill.
Almond Butter + Berry >> Spread almond butter on both sides and top each side with mixed berries. Grill.
Smore's >> Spread almond butter on both sides then top one side with chopped marshmallows [gf + vegan if needed] and one side with dark chocolate chips [vegan if needed]. Grill.
PB, Banana, Maple >> Spread peanut butter on both sides and top each side with banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Grill. Serve with a side of maple syrup.
Strawberry, Almond, Coconut >> Spread softened coconut butter on one side and almond butter on the other then place strawberries on one half. Grill.
The possibilities are endless.
You could easily set this up as a fun weekend breakfast/brunch with family or friends. Set out bowls with different topping options, a few types of bread, nut butter, jelly, etc. and then get grilling....err....waffling!
It's a bird! It's a plane!
It's a waffle-grilled sandwich!
And if you happen to stop by to my house anytime in the next month, you can without a doubt expect to be fed a waffle sandwich. Don't worry, I'll let you pick the toppings. I hope you can deal.
Now what are you waiting for? Find yourself a waffle maker and get to it!