As you are aware I'm totally crushing on our waffle maker. I've wanted to keep sharing waffle recipes, as the ideas are overflowing in my head, but I also want to avoid turning this into a waffle blog.
Although, that idea doesn't sound half bad.
Maybe you're on the fence when it comes to turning typically sweet things savory, but hopefully this recipe will take you happily to the other side. This is amazingly satisfying for any meal of the day and can be whipped up and ready to eat in about 10-15 minutes!
I think the key to savory waffles are the toppings. You could do something simple like plain cream cheese but this seemed like the perfect opportunity to put an egg on top.
And you know I'm always looking for opportunities to put eggs on top of things.
Finished off with a little avocado and salsa verde.
I'm thinking cream cheese, salsa, and hot sauce would be another fabulous topping combination.
Savory Spinach + Cheese Waffles gluten-free // yields 2, 6-inch Belgian waffles
- 1/2 cup raw/light buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1/3 cup freshly grated pepper jack cheese
- egg, avocado, salsa, cream cheese, butter, optional toppings
- Preheat and grease a 6-inch, round Belgian waffle iron, or other.
- Stir the flours, almond meal, baking powder, oregano, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg, then whisk in the milk, applesauce, oil, and garlic.
- Pour the wet into the dry and whisk until you no longer see dry flour. Do not over-mix.
- Fold in the spinach + cheese.
- Let sit for 2-3 minutes, then pour 1/2 of the mixture into your waffle maker and lightly spread if needed. Depending on your waffle iron, you may get more/less than 2, 6-inch waffles.
- Cook according to your preference and your specific waffle iron. I set mine just over medium for a lightly crisped exterior.
- Remove + serve immediately with desired toppings. While waffle is cooking, prepare sunny-side up eggs if desired.
notes/substitutions: 2% milk or soy milk will also work. Sharp cheddar, asiago, or grated parmesan would also work well. A sharp cheese will make the waffle more flavorful. Dried basil or parsley can be subbed for oregano if desired.
As speculated the other day the waffle maker now has a permanent position on the counter. Adios stand mixer!
I can guarantee there will be more waffle recipes coming soon.