Simplicity is a funny thing when it comes to food blogging.
Sometimes it kind of feels like quick and easy recipes aren’t legit enough to post and talk about. But not everything has to be complicated to be worth mentioning. Quite the opposite, I think, and I often forget this.
You know those days where it’s a feat just to get a meal on the table? There have been a lot of those around here lately. But even on those days when life is a little crazy, taste does not have to be compromised and to-go orders can be avoided.
As I’ve mentioned a few times we’ve been eating out a LOT the past month or so due to all of the moving chaos and renovations. However, the past week or so I’ve been able to cook almost all of our meals [breakfast, lunch, and dinner!] at home. Dinner may not happen until 9pm and it may be extremely basic, but it has felt great to be cooking again and not spending on dinners out.
I’ve found myself making some of these basic meals time + time again and decided I had to share.
Totally legit. Promise.
First, the kale is tossed with a few ingredients then grilled until just starting to crisp.
Yes, kale chips can be made right on your grill!
Right before the kale finishes cooking a small handful of fresh herbs is thrown in the mix to liven things up.
Tortillas are then crisped on both sides, sprinkled with freshly grated cheese, and topped with the grilled kale chips.
After about 1 minute of letting everything melt together you’re left with a hearty, flavorful, and comforting meal.
From start to finish this was a definite 20 minute meal. You can prep the kale mixture while the grill is pre-heating and then cook everything in about 12 minutes.
There are a million other things you could stuff in between these tortillas, but the kale + cheese are really all you need.
Grilled Kale + Cheese Stuffed Tortillas gluten-free // yields 2 servings
- 1 large head lacinato/dinosaur kale, curly kale will also work
- 2-3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon salt + pepper
- small handful fresh herbs, chopped or torn – I used basil, oregano, chives, and parsley
- 4 gluten-free tortillas, or other
- ~1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your grill to medium—about 350*– and place a grilling pan or grate on the grill.
- Tear kale from the stem and place all pieces in a bowl.
- Tear kale a bit more and add the olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Massage the oil and seasonings into the kale until evenly coated.
- Pour evenly onto your grill pan and grill for about 7-10 minutes, turning about 3 times, until partially crisped and starting to brown.
- In the last minute of cooking throw your torn herbs over the kale and mix in.
- Place kale on a plate and place 4 tortillas on the grill for about 1 minute to toast the first side.
- Flip each and evenly distribute cheese on all 4 tortillas, letting melt for about 30 seconds.
- Place an even amount of kale on 2 of the tortillas and top with the other two cheesy tortillas.
- Flip and grill the other side for about 1 minute, or until golden brown and crisped.
- Remove from the grill, slice, and eat.
additional filling options: sun-dried tomatoes, avocado, mashed beans, over-easy eggs, baked tempeh
Simple is good.