Well hello there!
Long time no talk.
Are you down for some minestrone soup today?
I hope everyone had a lovely holiday and enjoyed at least one day off from the normal work routine. I’ve pretty much ignored my inbox and social media for the past week and it’s been glorious. A reboot of sorts. But that doesn’t mean I’ve been sitting around on the couch for a week. It means I’ve been tending to the things I’ve been ignoring for the better part of the year.
I thought today would be a great day—as I sit here freezing in my office (coldest room in the house) while it’s snowing and 8° outside—to tell you about this soup recipe.
Minestrone soup has been on my “to make” list for at least a year now. I have no idea why I haven’t tackled it yet. It’s definitely one of the easiest soups ever. And on a recent post polling what you’d like to see more of here in 2015, many of you said, more SOUP!
So I figured I would close out 2014 with this huge batch of soup. Soul warming, flavorful and absolutely perfect with grilled cheese or avocado toast.
I’ve given traditional minestrone soup a little New Year’s twist by adding collard greens and black eyed peas. You know, for good luck in the New Year! I have no idea where that tradition came from, but I absolutely love collards and will use any excuse I can to cook with them. They’re a hearty green that tenderize perfectly in this simple, tomato-broth. And speaking of the broth, I like mine extra tomato-ey. It’s kind of a cross between minestrone and tomato soup.
Minestrone Soup with Collard Greens + Black Eyed Peas gluten-free, vegan // yields ~14 cups, 6-8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 cups no/low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1, 28oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, (or regular)
- 1, 15oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes, (or regular)
- 2 cups ribbon-cut collard greens, (de-stemmed)
- 1, 15oz can black eyed peas, (sub chickpeas if desired)
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free macaroni noodles
- salt + pepper to taste
- fresh parsley and parmesan cheese, (to top)
Heat a large pot (at least 5qt) over medium with the oil. Once hot, add in the onion with a big pinch of salt. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes and then add in the carrots and celery. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until starting to soften. Stir frequently. Add in the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds then stir in the basil and oregano.
Slowly pour in the broth and tomatoes. Stir in about 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (Total amount you need to add will vary on sodium levels in your broth. If using full sodium wait until the end to add more salt.). Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Taste and add more salt and pepper to your liking.
Stir in the collards, beans, and noodles. Cook until noodles are slightly al dente, as they’ll continue to cook once taken off the heat. Taste and add more salt + pepper if desired. Serve with fresh parsley and freshly grated parmesan if desired. (The noodles soak up quite a bit of liquid. Add more broth if needed.)
Let soup cool before storing in the fridge for 5-6 days.
Notes: If you can’t find or don’t want to use collards, lacinato (dino) kale would be a great replacement, or any other sturdy green. I don’t recommend spinach. If using gluten-free noodles, they will expand in the soup after refrigeration. They tend to fall apart after the initial cook as well.
You might want to check back here on Dec 31 for the perfect New Year’s Day appetizer. Just a suggestion.
But in the meantime…
Looking for a few fun NYE recipes? You probably want to start off with these Cheesy Polenta Breadsticks and then check the list below for other ideas.
- Ruby Red Grapefruit Ginger Cocktail
- Savory Pizza Waffles
- Greek Stuffed Deviled Eggs
- Lemon Herb Cauliflower Bean Dip
- Simple Black Bean Dip
- Kale + Brussels Sprout Fruit and Nut Salad
- Maple Sea Salt Baked Doughnuts
- Citrus Sangria
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Buckeyes
- Vegan Candy Cane Ice Cream + Chocolate Cookie Pie