I am ridiculously excited about this post for 3 reasons.
1. You are about to get a killer new recipe that is sure to become a weeknight staple.
2. You can leave a comment below to win a free copy of Angela’s brand new vegan cookbook, The Oh She Glows Cookbook!!! It was just released TODAY!
photo credit (smoothies + veggie burger): Angela Liddon
3. The 3rd and most exciting thing… This cookbook was written, tested, and photographed by one of my best blogging buddies and dear friend for over 4 years, Angela Liddon. I’m sure you all know Angela. She is a cooking + baking machine and produces some of the best recipes you’ll find on the web [and now in print!].
photo credit (cookbook): Angela Liddon – Angela has 2 different covers for Canada and US. The photo above is the Canadian cover. The photo you’ll see below is the US cover. The content of both books is exactly the same.
So, yeah. Ange and I go waaaay back. Way back to when I had long hair + glasses and was still in my 20’s. We had a million things in common right from the start and were both on a similar career-changing journey. We were learning food photography, how to blog, how to cook with new-to-us foods, how to properly fuel our bodies, and the list goes on. We both even had granola bar businesses [mine closed when we moved to CO]. What are the odds of that?
Just as you can imagine from the voice on her blog, Angela is one of the sweetest, most down to earth, genuine, loving women you will ever meet. I can’t imagine not having her in my life even though there are thousands of miles between us. If we were together today I would be keeping her wine glass full and giving her continual “cheers” for the outstanding job she did with this cookbook.
From the photography to the precise + well-tested recipes this is a vegan cookbook for all. It’s filled with hearty vegan [and mostly gluten-free!] recipes to please any crowd. Over the years I’ve made and enjoyed so many of Angela’s recipes, and I find having an entire book of them right at my fingertips to be SO exciting.
There’s just something about a physical cookbook that I absolutely love.
Some of the recipes I cannot wait to make:
- Ultimate Nutty Granola Clusters
- Sunrise Scramble with Roasted Home Fries & Avocado Toast
- Grilled Portobello Burger with Sun-Dried Tomato Kale-Hemp Pesto [photograph above]
- Super-Power Chia Bread
- Fudgy Mocha Pudding Cake
- Homemade Yolos [like Rolos!!]
For today, we have Quick & Easy Chana Masala.
And boy could that not be truer. The recipe process is very simple once you gather all of your ingredients. It calls for a handful of spices that are all quite important in developing the right flavor profile. Check if stores in your area carry spices in bulk so you can buy in small quantities!
I love how Angela toasted cumin seeds at the beginning of the recipe instead of adding ground cumin. It makes quite a difference in the flavor adding much more of a soft, nutty taste.
I may have forgotten the serrano chili pepper but it was still off the charts delicious.
Pull out all of your spices before you start cooking and be sure to prep the onion, ginger, and garlic. As Angela notes, this recipe moves quickly, so getting everything prepped at the beginning will be a huge help.
Quick & Easy Chana Masala from The Oh She Glows Cookbook by, Angela Liddon
yields 4 servings // gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, grain-free option, vegan
prep time: 15-20 minutes // cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 green serrano chile pepper, seeded, if preferred, and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 mL) ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL) fine-grain sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (28-ounce/793-g) can whole peeled or diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 (28-ounce/793-g) can chickpeas, or 3 cups (750 mL) cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry/uncooked basmati rice, for serving
- fresh lemon juice, for serving
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
- In a large wok or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. When a drop of water sizzles upon hitting the pan, reduce heat to medium-low and add the cumin seeds. Stir and toast the seeds for a minute or two until golden and fragrant, watching carefully to avoid burning.
- Raise the heat to medium and stir in the onion, garlic, ginger, and serrano. Cook for a few minutes or so, then stir in the garam masala, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne (if using), and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes and their juices and break them apart with a wooden spoon (skip if using diced tomatoes). You can leave some chunks of tomatoes for texture.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add the chickpeas. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or longer to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve over cooked basmati rice, if desired, and garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some chopped cilantro just before serving.
AuthorTips: To thicken the tomato gravy, place a ladle of the curry in a mini processor and process until almost smooth. Stir this back into the curry to thicken. For a grain-free option, serve the chana masala atop a baked potato.
Ashley’s rice cooking notes:Rinse rice thoroughly and soak in water for 20-30 minutes then drain and rinse again. Place in a pot with 1 3/4 cups water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Stir once then cover and reduce heat to a constant simmer for 15 minutes [until water is fully absorbed]. Let sit covered off the heat for 5-10 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve.
Recipe reprinted by arrangement with AVERY, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © GLO BAKERY CORPORATION, 2014
The Oh She Glows Cookbook giveaway!!
- Leave a comment below letting me know your current favorite weeknight recipe. This is definitely my new favorite and the leftovers are just as tasty the next day.
Giveaway ends: Thursday, March 6th at 10pm EST
Huge CONGRATS to Angela!!
Now, go enter!