Do you like the word I made up?
puffs + amaranth = puffmaranth
Did you like Cocoa Puffs as a kid? Honestly, I wasn’t a fan. I would much rather have eaten a bowl of Fruity Pebbles, Peanut Butter Crunch, or Lucky Charms.
However, this cocoa version of amaranth cereal has me jumping up + down with excitement. Seriously!
I just made this for the bulk of my lunch today and could not wait to get the post UP!
Cocoa Puffmaranth [serves 1]
- 1/4c raw amaranth
- 1c unsweetened almond milk
- 2t maple syrup [honey/agave/brown rice syrup]
- 2-3T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1t vanilla extract
- 1/4t cinnamon
- 2T raisins or currants
- 2T dried unsweetened coconut
- Pop amaranth, 1-2T at a time. Popping instruction.
- In a bowl mix together amaranth, cocoa powder, cinnamon, dried fruit + coconut.
- Pour 1c milk in a bowl and whisk maple syrup + vanilla in until combined. *Feel free to use vanilla almond milk and not add in maple syrup or vanilla, since it is already sweetened.
- Pour over cereal and consume!
*Feel free to add chopped nuts for some crunch. If you don’t wan’t raisins or coconut, just leave them out! It will still be delicious!
*This bowl of cereal is bigger than you think. It always surprises me, in a good way, at just how filling it is!
Lately I’ve been posting some nutrition facts, not for calorie or fat counting, but just to show you how nutrient dense some of these recipes really are!
I have been using calorie count to add everything up. It works okay, but I’ve found some problems with it. For some reason the fat count is always high. I’ve added up each ingredient separately and the total fat is somehow always off!
Check out the protein, fiber, calcium and iron!! Amazing!
For my taste, 1c of milk seems to be perfect for this amount of amaranth cereal. You might like more or less.
Check out that cocoa puffy goodness!
Cereal from a box?? No more!
I’m not only doing my happy dance because of this cereal, but we just got good house news too!! Yippee!!
Also, I wanted to pass along the door to door organics discount code!!! Check their site to make sure delivery is available in your area [it’s somewhat limited]. Just enter the coupon code edibleperspective right here and you will receive 40% OFF your first box of FOOD!!!!! Amazing!!
Have a fabulous rest of your day!!
Connect with The Edible Perspective!