I’m so sorry.
But I just had to do it.
I woke up chilled this morning + saw this can peaking out at me in the cupboard.
Comfort In a Can, is what I like to call this.
spiced, pumpkin oats.
Basic Pumpkin Oats
- 1/2c rolled oats
- 3/4c unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4c water
- 1/2 banana, sliced thinly
- 1/3c pumpkin puree
- 1/2t vanilla
- 3/4t cinnamon
- 1/8-1/4t ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1t honey/sucanat/maple syrup [opt]
- In a pot, heat oats + milk + water over medium heat until a low boil.
- Stir + reduce heat to simmer, adding the sliced banana + spices.
- Cook for 6-10min, until thickened to your liking, stirring ever minute or so.
- In the last 1-2min of cooking, stir in pumpkin + vanilla.
- Add toppings.
*Feel free to stir in a 1/2-1 serving of protein powder when you remove them from the heat. Add more milk, if it thickens too much.
*No protein powder? Whisk in 1 large egg, or 2 egg whites in the last 2-3min of cook time. Let sit to cook + thicken then stir.
*Also feel free to sub in 1/3c steel cut oats, or 1/3c rolled + 2T Scottish oats instead. Cook time will be longer, especially for the steel cut.
And I’m so glad it did.