A new twist on lettuce wraps.
A new twist on taco night.
Mashed avocado with lime juice + salt.
Pepper, onion, corn, beans, and spices.
Lettuce Wrap Tacos
serves about 4
*This recipe may look intimidating because there are 4 different parts but it actually only took about 35min to make. I suggest starting with the millet, and while that’s cooking work on the black bean crema, then the the taco filling. While the taco filling is cooking, make the creamy avocado mixture.
- 1 cup dried millet
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1/2 Tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- pinch of salt
- black pepper
- Heat a pot over medium with the oil.
- While heating, thoroughly rinse the millet.
- Add the garlic and stir for about 30sec then add the millet for 2-3min, stirring frequently.
- Carefully pour in the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Stir once then cover and cook for 20min. Do not open the lid to stir.
- Leaving the cover on, move to a cool burner and let sit for 5min.
- Fluff with a fork.
notes: Feel free to sub quinoa instead of millet. Cook time will reduce to 15min.
Black Bean Crema [from a previous post]
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup half + half creamer [or unsweetened almond milk]
- 1/2 Tablespoon oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a food processor/magic bullet/blender combine the beans and cream and process until smooth.
- In a small pan over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Once hot, add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne + salt and stir constantly for 20-30sec until the garlic begins to brown.
- Empty the black bean mixture into the hot pan, reduce heat to med-low, and stir until combined.
- Let cook for 2-5min, stirring frequently, until desired thickness is reached. It will continue to thicken as it sits.
notes: I used almond milk [out of half + half] and it worked perfectly.
- 1 avocado
- juice from 1/2 of a lime
- pinch of salt
- Mash all together until smooth.
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn [frozen works]
- 1 Tablespoon safflower oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2.5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper [opt]
- optional toppings:jicama, tomatoes, sour cream, cheese, salsa, cilantroetc.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium.
- Once hot, cook the red onion for about 5-7 minutes until just starting to soften. Stir frequently.
- Add in the garlic and stir for 30 seconds, then stir in all of the seasonings and cook for 20-30seconds.
- Add in the bell pepper and corn and cook for 5-6min, stirring frequently.
- Layer ingredients onto washed and dried butter lettuce leaves. Roll up and eat.
Stuff in face.