*If you haven’t already subscribed to my new feed, you can do so here! You can also subscribe by email with the same link. My feed changed on March 16th when I moved my blog + completed the redesign. Thanks everyone!*
This recipe is for the husband.
As of Sunday morning we had a full bag of fingerling potatoes sitting on the counter. I asked Chris what I should do with them. Being the salt + vinegar lover that he is, he suggested some sort of mashed salt + vinegar potatoes.
And then my wheels were turning!
With a whole head of kale sitting in the fridge, it was the next obvious addition.
Chris is a salt + vinegar chip fanatic. He’s also known to douse fresh cut fries in malt vinegar, something that was completely foreign to me when we met. I used to be disgusted by this, but after stealing fries off his plate for the past 9 years I’ve come to enjoy the tangy taste.
You have 2 options with these mashed potatoes.
You can mash them together, dig in with a spoon, and call it a day…
Or, you can mash them together, form them into balls, coat them with a little more salt + vin, and broil them to form a nice golden crust on top.
Or, like me, you can choose both.
You know, eat a scoop, form one scoop into a ball, eat a scoop, form a second scoop into a ball. And repeat.
As I mashed the kale into the potatoes, I realized the mixture looked similar to my mashed potato spinach patties. Complete coincidence! I’ve never made a recipe like either of these in the past, but somehow I make two that are quite similar in one week??
Don’t take the time to question it.
Just sit down and eat.
Salt + Vinegar Kale Mashed Potatoes
yields 24-30 2-bite balls
- 5 cups fingerling potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups kale, thinly sliced
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 6 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 Tablespoons ghee/butter
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine grain salt
- toppings: apple cider vinegar, coarse sea salt, parmesan cheese [opt]
- Steam the washed + cubed potatoes for about 10-15min until creamy + tender.
- Mash together in a large bowl with the 1/2T ghee, vinegar, and 1/2t salt.
- Add the milk and continue to mash until desired consistency is reached.
- In a large pan, heat 1/2-1T ghee over medium heat and add the sliced kale once hot.
- Stir frequently for 2-3min until just wilted and stir in the garlic for 30sec.
- Immediately add to potato mixture and mash to combine.
- Taste and add 1/4t more salt if desired. Remember you will be topping with more salt before baking.
- Set your oven to broil on low with a rack at the top position.
- Place about a 2-3T sized scoop of the mixture into a mini muffin pan mold. Loosely shaping into a ball.
- Repeat until all are filled, or place on a large baking sheet.
- Pour 1/4-1/2t vinegar over the top of each ball and sprinkle with sea salt. Sprinkle on cheese if desired.
- Broil on low for 10-15min until golden brown. Watch your oven closely as all broilers are very different. Broil over high for the last 1-3min if necessary.
- Balls should easily remove from the pan with the help of a spoon or fork.
notes: Malt vinegar should also work for this recipe. If you can’t find fingerling, sub another creamy potato. Can easily be made vegan with Earth Balance.
You can thank Chris for this one!
Eat something delicious and tell me about it.