Finally, something other than rainbow chard is coming out of the garden. It started with the three pickling cucumbers below and hopefully will not end anytime soon.
We eat a side salad almost every night with dinner. I make a simple balsamic, apple cider vinegar, hemp oil dressing with salt + pepper. Nothing fancy. I just pour a little of each overtop each bowl. It’s been a favorite for a few years now.
The type of greens and toppings are rotated each week but sometimes we both need a change of pace.
A crispy, fresh cucumber salad was the exactly what we were looking for.
Summery + flavorful.
You typically see cucumber salads mixed with dill.
Unfortunately, I have no fresh herbs on hand this summer. Major error on my behalf. I got lazy.
Instead, I used onion + garlic as the main flavoring agents. I picked up the banana peppers at the market on Saturday and they add a peppery—but not spicy--contrast to the cucumber. The vinegar provides tanginess and the honey adds a touch of sweetness.
Simple Cucumber Salad with Banana Peppers [yields 3-4 side portions]
- 3 pickling cucumbers or 1.5 slicing cucumbers, sliced thinly
- 2 banana peppers, sliced thinly
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1.5 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- goat cheese or feta [optional]
- Place the cucumbers, banana peppers, and red onion in a large sealable container.
- Whisk together the vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper and pour overtop the vegetables.
- Mix well, close the container, and let marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving. Stir/toss 2-3 times while marinating so the flavors blend. Flavors will enhance the longer it sits.
- Serve and top with goat cheese or feta if desired and more salt + pepper if needed.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 1 week.
For dinner I decided to top our salads with goat cheese, which I now highly recommend.
It really helped to tie all of the flavors together. Feta would also work!
I definitely could have eaten the whole recipe alongside avocado toast + fruit for a very satisfying lunch.
This would also make a simple side dish to bring to a cookout! Say…for Labor Day maybe? Just be sure to make extra as this recipe only makes a few small servings.
Here’s to a super productive week!